Markov chain modeling of evolution of strains in reinforced concrete flexural beams
Keywords:Markov chain, reinforced concrete, stochastic modeling, strain
From the analysis of experimentally observed variations in surface strains with loading in reinforced concrete beams, it is noted that there is a need to consider the evolution of strains (with loading) as a stochastic process. Use of Markov Chains for modeling stochastic evolution of strains with loading in reinforced concrete flexural beams is studied in this paper. A simple, yet practically useful, bi-level homogeneous Gaussian Markov Chain (BLHGMC) model is proposed for determining the state of strain in reinforced concrete beams. The BLHGMC model will be useful for predicting behavior/response of reinforced concrete beams leading to more rational design.
(1) Newby, M. J.; Barker, C. T.: “A bivariate process model for maintenance and inspection planning”, Int. J. Pres. Ves. Pip., vol. 83 (2006), pp. 270-275. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2006.02.009
(2) van Noortwijk, J. M.: “A survey of the application of gamma processes in maintenance”. Reliab. Eng. Syst. Safe., vol. 94 (2009), pp. 2-21. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2007.03.019
(3) Kuniewski, S. P.; van der Weide, J. A. M.; van Noortwijk, J. M.: “Sampling inspection for the evaluation of time-dependent reliability of deteriorating systems under imperfect defect detection”, Reliab. Eng. Syst. Safe., vol. 94 (2009), pp. 1480-1490. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2008.11.013
(4) Nicolai, R. P.; Frenk, J. B. G.; Dekker, R.: “Modelling and optimizing imperfect maintenance of coatings on steel structures”, Struct. Saf., vol. 31 (2009), pp. 234-244. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2008.06.015
(5) Barker, C. T.; Newby, M. J.: “Optimal non-periodic inspection for a multivariate degradation model”, Reliab. Eng. Syst. Safe., vol. 94 (2009), pp. 33-43. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2007.03.015
(6) BS 8110: Structural Use of Concrete. Part 1: Code of Practice for Design and Construction, BS 8110-1997, British Standards Institution, London (1997).
(7) Rocha, M. M.; Schueller, G. I.: “Markoff chain modeling of NDT techniques”, Fatigue Fract. Eng. M., vol. 28 (2005), pp. 267-278. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2695.2004.00853.x
(8) Schueller. G. I.: “On procedures for reliability assessment of mechanical systems and structures”, Struct. Eng. Mech., vol. 25 (2007), pp. 275-289.
(9) Corotis, R. B.; Ellis, J. H.; Jiang, M.: “Modeling of risk-based inspection, maintenance and life-cycle cost with partially observable Markov decision processes”, Struct. Infrastruct. E., vol. 1 (2005), pp. 75-84. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15732470412331289305
(10) Ponchet, A.; Fouladirad, M.; Grall, A.: “Assessment of a maintenance model for a multi-deteriorating mode system”. Reliab. Eng. Syst. Safe., vol. 95 (2010), pp. 1244-1254. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2010.06.021
(11) Sheils, E.; O’Connor, A.; Breysse, D.; Schoefs, F.; Yotte, S.: “Development of a two-stage inspection process for the assessment of deteriorating infrastructure”. Reliab. Eng. Syst. Safe., vol. 95 (2010), pp. 182-194. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2009.09.008
(12) Prakash Desayi; Balaji Rao, K.: “Markov Chain model for cracking of RC beams”. J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, vol. 115 (1989), pp. 2129-2144. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1989)115:9(2129)
(13) Balaji Rao, K.; Appa Rao, T. V. S. R.: “Stochastic modelling of crackwidth in reinforced concrete beams subjected to fatigue loading”, Eng. Struct., vol. 26 (2004), pp. 665-673. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.01.005
(14) Balaji Rao, K.: “Markov chain modelling of evolution of serviceability-related effects in flexural members”. Invited Paper, in: Proc. of Structural Engineering Convention (SEC-2005), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 14-16 December 2005 (in CD-ROM).
(15) Balaji Rao, K.; Appa Rao, T. V. S. R.: “A methodology for condition assessment of rc bridge girders with limited inspection data”. Bridge & Struct. Eng., Ing-IABSE, vol. 29 (1999), pp. 13-26.
(16) Balaji Rao, K.; Anoop, M. B.; Lakshmanan, N.; Gopalakrishnan, S.; Appa Rao, T. V. S. R.: “Risk-based remaining life assessment of corrosion affected reinforced concrete structural members”, J. Struct. Eng., vol. 31 (2004), pp. 51-64.
(17) Prakash Desayi; Balaji Rao, K.: “Probabilistic analysis of the cracking of RC beams”. Mater. Struct., vol. 20 (1987), pp. 408-417. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF02472491
(18) Prakash Desayi; Balaji Rao, K.: Cracking of Reinforced Concrete Beams - Test Results, Report No. CE-1-1988, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, (1988).
(19) Kapur, J. N.: Maximum Entropy Models in Science and Engineering, Wiley Eastern Limited, New Delhi (1993).
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2012 Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.© CSIC. Manuscripts published in both the printed and online versions of this Journal are the property of Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, and quoting this source is a requirement for any partial or full reproduction.
All contents of this electronic edition, except where otherwise noted, are distributed under a “Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International” (CC BY 4.0) License. You may read here the basic information and the legal text of the license. The indication of the CC BY 4.0 License must be expressly stated in this way when necessary.
Self-archiving in repositories, personal webpages or similar, of any version other than the published by the Editor, is not allowed.