Effect of the strontium aluminate and hemihydrate contents on the properties of a calcium sulphoaluminate based cement
Keywords:Strontium aluminate, Ettringite, Sulphoaluminate
The effect of strontium aluminate (SrAl2O4) on the hydration process of a calcium sulphoaluminate (C4A3Ŝ) cement was investigated. Cement pastes were prepared by mixing C4A3Ŝ , hemihydrate (CaSO4· ½H2O, CŜH0.5) and 0, 10 or 20wt% of SrAl2O4 (SrA). The amount of CŜH0.5 was 15, 20 or 25wt% based on the C4A3Ŝ quantity. The cement pastes were hydrated using water to cement ratios (w/c) of 0.4 and 0.5. Samples were cured from 1 to 28 d. The compressive strength and setting time were evaluated and the hydration products were characterized. It was found that the setting time was delayed up to 42 min for the samples containing SrAl2O4 compared to samples without addition. The samples with 25wt% hemihydrate containing 20wt% SrAl2O4 developed the highest compressive strength (60 MPa) after 28 d of curing. The main product after hydration was ettringite (C6AŜ3H32). The morphology of this phase consisted of thin needle-shaped crystals.
1. Odler, I. (2000) Special inorganic cements, E & FN SPON, London.
2. Juenger, M.C.G.; Winnefeld, F. (2011) Advances in alternative cementitius binders. Cem. Concr. Res., 41 , 1232–1243. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2010.11.012
3. Propescu, C.D. (2003) Industrial trial production of low energy belite cement. Cem. Concr. Comp., 25 , 689–693. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0958-9465(02)00097-5
4. Aranda, M.A.G.; De la Torre, A.G. (2013) Sulfoaluminate cement, Ed. Pacheco-Torgal, F., Jalali, S., Labrincha, J., John, V. M. (Eds.), Eco-efficient concrete, Cambridge.
5. Saju, S.; Majling, J. (1993) Phase compatibility in the system CaO-SiO2-Al2O3-Fe2O3-SO3 referred to sulphoaluminate belite cement clinker. Cem. Concr. Res., 23 , 1331–1339. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0008-8846(93)90070-P
6. Quillin, K. (2001) Performance of belite-sulfoaluminate cements. Cem. Concr. Res., 31 , 1341–1349. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(01)00543-9
7. Klein, A. (1965) Formation of Ettringite by Hydration of a System Containing an Anhydrous Calcium Sulfoaluminate. J. Am. Cer. Soc., 48 , 435–436. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1151-2916.1965.tb14786.x
8. De la Torre, A.G.; Cuberos, A.J.M. et al. (2011) In situ powder diffraction study of belite sulfoaluminate clinkering. Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, 18 , 506–514. http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0909049511005796 PMid:21525661
9. Glasser, F.P.; Zhang, L. (2001) High-performance cement matrices based on calcium sulfoaluminate–belite compositions. Cem. Concr. Res., 31 , 1881–1886. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(01)00649-4
10. Arjunan, P. (1999) Sulfoaluminate-belite cement from low- calcium fly ash and sulfur rich and other industrial by-products. Cem. Concr. Res., 29 , 1305–1309. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(99)00072-1
11. Winnefeld, F. (2010) Hydration of calcium sulphoaluminate cements experimental findings and thermodinamic modeling. Cem. Concr. Res., 40 , 1239–1247. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2009.08.014
12. Ambroise, P.J. (2004) New applications of calcium sulfoaluminate cement. Cem. Concr. Res., Vol. 34 , 671–676. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2003.10.019
13. Havlica, S.S. (1991) Hydration behaviour of sulphoaluminate belite cement in the presence of various calcium sulphates. Thermochimica Acta, 175 , 45–52. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0040-6031(91)80244-D
14. Hargis, C.; Kircheim, A. (2013) Early hydration of calcium sulfoaluminato (synthetic ye'elemite, C4A3S^) in the presence of gypsum and varying amounts of calcium hydroxide. Cem. Concr. Res., 48 , 105–115. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2013.03.001
15. Wang, Y.; Su, M. (1994) The third cement series in China. World Cem., 25 , 6–10.
16. Zhang, L.; Su, M.; Wang, Y. (1999) Development of the use of sulfo- and ferroaluminate cements in China. Adv. Cem. Res., 11 , 15–21. http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/adcr.19184.108.40.206
17. Beretka, J.; Marroccoli, M. (1996) The influence of C4A3S^ content and W/S ratio on the performance of calcium sulfoaluminate-based cements. Cem. Concr. Res., 26 , 1673–1681. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(96)00164-0
18. Winnefeld, F.; Barlag, S. (2010) Calorimetric and thermogavimetric study on the influence of calcium sulfate on the Figure 6. Micrographs of samples containing 15(a), 20(b) and 25(c)w% of hemihydrate and 20wt% of SrAl2O4 after 28 d of curing hydration of ye'elimite. J. Therm. Anal. Calorim., 101 , 949–957. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10973-009-0582-6
19. Evju, C.; Hansen, S. (2001) Expansive properties of ettringite in a mixture of calcium aluminate cement, Portland cement and β-calcium sulfate hemihydrate. Cem. Concr. Res., 31 , 257–261. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(00)00495-6
20. Braniski, A. (1957) Barium and strontium cements, Zement-Kalk-Gips, 5, 176–184.
21. Chatterjee, A.K. (2009) Re-examining the prospects of aluminous cements based on alkali-earth and rare-earth oxides. Cem. Concr. Res., 39 , 981–988. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2009.07.027
22. ASTM C-204, Fineness of Hydraulic Cement by Air Permeability Apparatus, 1995 Annual Book of ASTM Standards. Section 4. Construction. Vol. 04.01. Cement, Lime, Gypsum.
23. BS EN 196-6: 2010. Methods of testing cement. Part 6: Determination of fineness. London, British Standards Institute.
24. ASTM C-191, Test Method for Time of Setting of Hydraulic Cement by Vicat Needle, 1995 Annual Book of ASTM Standards. Section 4. Construction. Volume 04.01. Cement, Lime, Gypsum.
25. BS EN 196-3: 2005. Methods of testing cement. Part 3: Determination of setting and soundness. London, British Standards Institute.
26. ASTM C 150 Standard Specification for Portland cement, 2004 Annual Book of ASTM Standards. Section 4. Construction. Vol. 04.01. Cement, Lime, Gypsum.
27. BS EN 197-1: 2000. Cement. Composition, specifications and conformity criteria for common cements. London, British Standards Institute.
28. Quennoz, A.; Scrivener, K.L. (2012) Hydration of C3A–gypsum systems. Cem. Concr. Res., 42 , 1032–1041. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2012.04.005
29. Motzet, H.; Pöllmann, H. (1999) Synthesis and characterisation of sulfite-containing AFm phases in the system CaO-Al2O3-SO2-H2O. Cem. Concr. Res., 29 , 1005–1011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(99)00082-4
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2014 Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.© CSIC. Manuscripts published in both the printed and online versions of this Journal are the property of Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, and quoting this source is a requirement for any partial or full reproduction.
All contents of this electronic edition, except where otherwise noted, are distributed under a “Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International” (CC BY 4.0) License. You may read here the basic information and the legal text of the license. The indication of the CC BY 4.0 License must be expressly stated in this way when necessary.
Self-archiving in repositories, personal webpages or similar, of any version other than the published by the Editor, is not allowed.