Seismic retrofitting of timber framed walls
Keywords:Timber framed walls, Strengthening, Earthquake, Elastic-plastic dampers, Steel plates, Reinforced rendering
After the 1755 earthquake that destroyed Lisbon, an innovative anti-seismic structural system was developed consisting of a timber skeleton, that included timber framed masonry walls. After more than 250 years these structures need rehabilitation to face the present demands. The research presented in this paper aimed at experimentally characterizing the cyclic behaviour of timber framed walls reinforced with three different methods, namely: (i) elastic-plastic dampers on diagonal braces, (ii) reinforcement of timber connections with steel plates, (iii) application of a reinforced rendering. The elastic-plastic damper showed an unsymmetrical behaviour and some difficulties to implement in practice. The strengthening with reinforced render led to an initial stiffness increase but showed a limited deformation capacity. The walls with reinforcing steel plates at the timber connections showed the best behaviour in terms of strength, stiffness and energy dissipation.
1. Dutu, A.; Ferreira, J.; Guerreiro, L.; Branco, F.; Gonçalves, A. (2012) "Timbered masonry for earthquake resistance in Europe", Mater. Construcc. 62 , 615–628. http://dx.doi.org/10.3989/mc.2012.01811
2. Appleton, J. (2003) Rehabilitation of old Buildings, Pathologies and techniques of intervention (in Portuguese). Lisboa: Orion.
3. Ferreira, J.G.; Teixeira, M.J.; Dutu, A.; Branco, F.; Gonçalves, A. (2014) Experimental Evaluation and Numerical Modelling of Timber Framed Walls, Experimental Techniques, 38 , 45–53. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1747-1567.2012.00820.x
4. Krawinkler, H.; Parisi, F.; Ibarra, L.; Ayoub, A.; Medina, R. (2000) Development of a testing protocol for wood frame structures, Krawinkler. CUREE-Caltech Woodframe Project Rep., Stanford University, Stanford, California.
5. Meireles, H.; Bento, R. (2010) Cyclic Behaviour of Pombalino Frontal Walls. Proceedings of the 14th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering (14ECEE), Ohrid, F.Y.R.O.Macedonia.
6. EN 1991-1-1:2002 - Eurocode 1: Actions on structures - Part 1-1: General actions - Densities, self-weight, imposed loads for buildings., CEN – European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, 2002.
7. EN 10002-1:2001 –Metallic materials – Tensile testing, Part 1: Method of test at ambient temperature., CEN – European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, 2001.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2014 Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.© CSIC. Manuscripts published in both the printed and online versions of this Journal are the property of Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, and quoting this source is a requirement for any partial or full reproduction.
All contents of this electronic edition, except where otherwise noted, are distributed under a “Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International” (CC BY 4.0) License. You may read here the basic information and the legal text of the license. The indication of the CC BY 4.0 License must be expressly stated in this way when necessary.
Self-archiving in repositories, personal webpages or similar, of any version other than the published by the Editor, is not allowed.