Gypsum plasterboard walls: inspection, pathological characterization and statistical survey using an expert system
Keywords:inspection system, drywall, gypsum plasterboard, anomaly, diagnosis
This paper presents an expert system to support the inspection and diagnosis of partition walls or wall coverings mounted using the Drywall (DW) construction method. This system includes a classification of anomalies in DW and their probable causes. This inspection system was used in a field work that included the observation of 121 DWs. This paper includes a statistical analysis of the anomalies observed during these inspections and their probable causes. The correlation between anomalies and causes in the sample is also thoroughly analyzed. Anomalies are also evaluated for area affected, size, repair urgency and aesthetic value of the affected area. The conclusions of the statistical analysis allowed the creation of an inventory of preventive measures to be implemented in the design, execution and use phases in order to lessen the magnitude or eradicate the occurrence of anomalies in DW. These measures could directly help improve the quality of construction.
(1) Cotrim, H., Veiga, M. R.; de Brito, J.: “Methodology for the rehabilitation of ancient gypsum plasterwork”. Journal of Building Appraisal, Vol. 3, n.º 3 (2007), pp. 195-212.
(2) Cotrim, H.; Veiga, M. R.; de Brito, J.: “Freixo Palace: Rehabilitation of decorative gypsum plasters”. Construction and Buildings Materials, Vol. 22, n.º 1 (2008), pp. 41-49.
(3) Freire, T.; Silva, A. S.; Veiga, M. R.; de Brito, J.: “Characterization of Portuguese historical gypsum mortars: a comparison between two case studies”. Materials Science Forum, Vol. 636-637, n.º 2 (2010), pp. 1258-1265.
(4) Silveira, P.; Veiga, M. R.; de Brito, J.: “Gypsum coatings in ancient buildings”. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 21, n.º 1 (2007), pp. 126-131.
(5) Gaião, C.; de Brito, J.; Silvestre, J. D.: “Inspection and diagnosis of gypsum plasterboard walls”. Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, (June, 2010). http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000149
(6) Garcia J.; de Brito, J.: “Inspection and diagnosis of epoxy resin industrial floor coatings”. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol. 20, n.º 2 (2008), pp. 128-136.
(7) Silvestre, J. D.; de Brito, J.: “Ceramic tiling inspection system”. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 23, n.º 2 (2009), pp. 653-668.
(8) Branco, F. A.; de Brito, J.: Handbook of Concrete Bridge Management. ASCE Press; Reston - VA, USA, (2004), 468 p.
(9) Walter, A.; de Brito, J.; Lopes, J. G.: “Current flat roof bituminous membranes waterproofing systems - inspection, diagnosis and pathology classification”. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 19, n.º 3 (2005), pp. 233-242.
(10) Pereira, A.; Palha, F.; de Brito, J.; Silvestre, J. D.: “Inspection and diagnosis system for gypsum plasters in partition walls and ceilings”. Construction and Building Materials. (December, 2010).
(11) Abragesso “Brazilian Association of Drywall Producers.” (April 28, 2010).
(12) ATEDY “Spanish Technical and Business Association of Gypsum.” <http://www.atedy.es> (April 28, 2010).
(13) Eurogypsum “European federation of national associations of gypsum products manufacturers” (April 28, 2010).
(14) Gypsum Association “Handling and storage of gypsum panel products: a guide for distributors, retailers, and contractors.” GA-801-07. <http://www.gypsum.org/pdf/GA-801-07.pdf> (April 28, 2010).
(15) Silvestre, J. D.; de Brito, J.: “Ceramic tiling in building façades: Inspection and pathological characterization using an expert system”. Construction and Building Materials. (September, 2010).
(16) Chong, W. K.; Low S. P.: “Latent building defects: causes and design strategies to prevent them”. Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, Vol. 20, n.º 3 (2006), pp. 213-221.
(17) Singh, J.; Yu, C.W.F.; Kim, J.T.: “Building pathology, investigation of sick buildings – toxic moulds”. Indoor and buit environment, Vol. 19, n.º 1 (2010), pp. 40-47.
(18) WHO (World Health Organisation) in Europe: WHO Guidelines for indoor air quality: dampness and mould. Copenhagen, Denmark, WHO Regional Office for Europe, (2009). Available at: www.euro.who.int/document/E92645.pdf.
(19) Chong, W. K.; Low, S.P.: “Assessment of defects at construction and occupancy stages”. Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, Vol. 19, n.º 4 (2005), pp. 283-289.
(20) Gaião, C.: Support system for inspection and diagnosis of anomalies in gypsum plasterboard walls (in Portuguese). Masters Thesis in Construction at Instituto Superior Técnico, Lisbon, Portugal, (2008), 144 p.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2012 Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.© CSIC. Manuscripts published in both the printed and online versions of this Journal are the property of Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, and quoting this source is a requirement for any partial or full reproduction.
All contents of this electronic edition, except where otherwise noted, are distributed under a “Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International” (CC BY 4.0) License. You may read here the basic information and the legal text of the license. The indication of the CC BY 4.0 License must be expressly stated in this way when necessary.
Self-archiving in repositories, personal webpages or similar, of any version other than the published by the Editor, is not allowed.