Guidelines for assessing the valorization of a waste into cementitious material: dredged sediment for production of self compacting concrete
Keywords:Protocol, Waste treatment, Cementitious material, Dredged sediment, Self-compacting concrete
This article presents some guidelines in order to analyse the feasibility of including a waste material in the production of a structural cementitious material. First of all, the compatibility of the waste with a cementitious material has to be assured; then, if necessary, a decontamination step will be carried out; after, decision on the type of material has to be taken based on different aspects, with special emphasis on the granulometry. As a last step, mechanical, environmental and durability properties have to be evaluated. Then the procedure is illustrated with a full example, obtaining a self compacting concrete (SCC) including dredged sediment taken from a Spanish harbour.
1. Zaitri, R.; Bederina, M.; Bouziani, T.; Makhloufi, Z.; Hadjoudja, M. (2014) Development of high performances concrete based on the addition of grinded dune sand and limestone rock using the.mixture design modelling approach. Constr. Build. Mater. 60, 8–16. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.02.062
2. Yan, D.Y.S.; Tang, I.Y.; Lo, I.M.C. (2014) Development of controlled low-strength material derived from beneficial reuse of bottom ash and sediment for green construction. Constr. Build. Mater. 64, 201–207. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.04.087
3. Madurwar, M.V.; Ralegaonkar, R.V.; Mandavgane, S.A. (2013) Application of agro-waste for sustainable construction materials: A review. Constr. Build. Mater. 38, 872–878. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.09.011
4. Hassan, I.O.; Ismail, M.; Noruzman, A.H.; Yusuf, T.O.; Mehmannavaz, T.; Usman, J. (2013) Characterization of some key Industrial Waste products for sustainable Concrete production. Eds. Liu XH, Zhang KF, Li MZ. Material Design, Processing and Applications, Parts 1–4, 1091–1094. http://dx.doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/amr.690-693.1091
5. de Oliveira, L.A.P.; Gomes, J.P.C.; Nepomuceno, M.C.S. (2013) The influence of wastes materials on the rheology of rendering mortars. Applied Rheology 23 , 11.
6. Barreca, F.; Fichera, C.R. (2013) Use of olive stone as an additive in cement lime mortar to improve thermal insulation. Energy and Buildings 62, 507–513. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2013.03.040
7. Di Palma, L.; Mancini, D.; Medici, F. (2012) Lab Scale Granulation Tests of Artificial Aggregate Production from Marine Sediments and Industrial Wastes. Bosicon 2012: 3rd International Conference on Contaminated Sites Remediation 28, 199–204. 9. Safiuddin, M.; Jumaat, M.Z.; Salam, M.A.; Islam, M.S.; Hashim, R. (2010) Utilization of solid wastes in construction materials. International Journal of the Physical Sciences 5, 1952–1963.
8. Valdes, A.J.; Martinez, C.M.; Romero, M.I.G.; Garcia, B.L.; del Pozo, J.M.M.; Vegas, A.T. (2010) Re-use of construction and demolition residues and industrial wastes for the elaboration or recycled eco-efficient concretes. Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research 8, 25–34. http://dx.doi.org/10.5424/sjar/2010081-1140
9. Safiuddin, M.; Jumaat, M.Z.; Salam, M.A.; Islam, M.S.; Hashim, R. (2010) Utilization of solid wastes in construction materials. International Journal of the Physical Sciences 5, 1952–1963.
10. Zdiri, M.; Abriak, N.E.; Ben Ouezdou, M.; Neji, J. (2009) The use of fluvial and marine sediments in the formulation of Roller Compacted Concrete for use in pavements. Environmental Technology 30, 809–815. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09593330902990097 PMid:19705664
11. Knoeri, C.; Nikolic, I.; Althaus, H.J.; Binder, C.R. (2014) Enhancing Recycling of Construction Materials: an Agent Based Model with Empirically Based Decision Parameters. Jasss-the Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation 17.
12. Felekoglu, B. (2007) Utilisation of high volumes of limestone quarry wastes in concrete industry (self-compacting concrete case). Resources Conservation and Recycling 51, 770–791. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2006.12.004
13. Bignozzi, M.C.; Sandrolini, F. (2006) Tyre rubber waste recycling in self-compacting concrete. Cem. Concr. Res. 36, 735–739. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2005.12.011
14. Ho, D.W.S.; Sheinn, A.M.M.; Ng, C.C.; Tam, C.T. (2002) The use of quarry dust for SCC applications. Cem. Concr. Res. 32, 505–511. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(01)00726-8
15. Sua-Iam, G.; Makul, N. (2013) Use of increasing amounts of bagasse ash waste to produce self-compacting concrete by adding limestone powder waste. Journal of Cleaner Production 57, 308–319. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2013.06.009
16. Pereira-de Oliveira, L.A.; Nepomuceno, M.; Rangel, M. (2013) An eco-friendly self-compacting concrete with recycled coarse aggregates. Informes de la Construccion 65, 31–41. http://dx.doi.org/10.3989/ic.11.138
18. Krishnasami, R.; Malathy, R. (2013) Significance of blast furnace slag as coarse aggregate in self compacting concrete. Eds. Hou H, Tian L. Architecture, Building Materials and Engineering Management, Pts 1–4, 829–833. http://dx.doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/amm.357-360.829
19. Azeredo, G.; Diniz, M. (2013) Self-compacting concrete obtained by the use of kaolin wastes. Constr.Build. Mater. 38, 515–523. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.08.027
20. Gesoglu, M.; Guneyisi, E.; Kocabag, M.E.; Bayram, V.; Mermerdas, K. (2012) Fresh and hardened characteristics of self compacting concretes made with combined use of marble powder, limestone filler, and fly ash. Constr.Build. Mater. 37, 160–170. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.07.092
21. Valdez, P.; Barragan, B.; Girbes, I.; Shuttleworth, N.; Cockburn, A. (2011) Use of waste from the marble industry as filler for the production of self-compacting concretes. Mater. Construcc. 61, 61–76.
22. Topçu, I. B.; Bilir, T.; Uygunoglu, T. (2009) Effect of waste marble dust content as filler on properties of self-compacting concrete. Constr. Build. Mater. 23, 1947–1953. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2008.09.007
23. Kou, S.C.; Poon, C.S. (2009) Properties of self-compacting concrete prepared with recycled glass aggregate. Cem. Concr. Comp. 31, 107–113. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2008.12.002
24. Nystroem, G.M.; Pedersen, A.J.; Ottosen, L.M.; Villumsen, A. (2006) The use of desorbing agents in electrodialytic remediation of harbour sediment. Science of the Total Environment 357, 25–37. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2005.04.040 PMid:15936059
25. Castellote, M.; Andrade, C.; Alonso, C. (2000) Electrochemical removal of chlorides - Modelling of the extraction, resulting profiles and determination of the efficient time of treatment. Cem. Concr. Res. 30 , 615–621. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(00)00220-9
26. Rozas, F.; Castellote, M. (2012) Electrokinetic remediation of dredged sediments polluted with heavy metals with different enhancing electrolytes. Electrochimica Acta 86, 102–109. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2012.03.068
27. Mulligan, C.N.; Yong, R.N.; Gibbs, B.F. (2001) Surfactant-enhanced remediation of contaminated soil: a review. Engineering Geology 60, 371–380. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7952(00)00117-4
28. Castellote, M.; Ordó-ez, M.; Andrade, C.; Zuloaga, P.; Navarro, M. (2011) Electrochemical treatment to condition contaminated EAFD as addition to immobilisation mortar in low level waste concrete containers. Corrosion Engineering Science and Technology 46 , 190–194. http://dx.doi.org/10.1179/1743278210Y.0000000005
29. Montero, N.; Belzunce-Segarra, M.J.; Gonzalez, J.L.; Menchaca, I.; Garmendia, J.M.; Etxebarria, N.; Nieto, O.; Franco, J. (2013) Application of Toxicity Identification Evaluation (TIE) procedures for the characterization and management of dredged harbor sediments. Marine Pollution Bulletin 71, 259–268. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2013.01.038 PMid:23465571
30. Castellote, M.; Andrade, C.; Alonso, C. (2001) Measurement of the steady and non-steady-state chloride diffusion coefficients in a migration test by means of monitoring the conductivity in the anolyte chamber-Comparison with natural diffusion tests. Cem. Concr. Res. 31 , 1411–1420. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(01)00562-2
31. Spanish recommendations for the management of dredged material in the Spanish harbours. (1994) Centro de Estudios y Experimentación de Obras Públicas, Puertos del Estado, Madrid.
32. Casado-Martinez, M.C.; Buceta, J.L.; Belzunce, M.J.; Delvalls, T.A. (2006) Using sediment quality guidelines for dredged material management in commercial ports from Spain. Environment International 32, 388–396. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2005.09.003 PMid:16289759
33. Casado-Martinez, M.C.; Buceta, J.L.; Forja, J.M.; DelValls, T.A. (2006) Interlaboratory assessment of marine bioassays to evaluate the environmental quality of coastal sediments in Spain. I. Exercise description and sediment quality. Ciencias Marinas 32, 121–128.
34. Casado-Martinez, M.C.; Forja, J.M.; DelValls, T.A. (2009) A multivariate assessment of sediment contamination in dredged materials from Spanish ports. Journal of Hazardous Materials 163, 1353–1359. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.07.106 PMid:18790564
35. UNE EN 12350-2:2006. Testing fresh concrete. Part 2: Slump test.
36. UNE EN 12350-8:2011. Testing fresh concrete - Part 8: Self-compacting concrete - Slump-flow test.
37. UNE EN 12350-6:2009. Testing fresh concrete - Part 6: Density.
38. UNE EN 12350-7:2001. Testing fresh concrete - Part 7: Air content - Pressure methods.
39. UNE-EN 12390-3. Testing hardened concrete - Part 3: Compressive strength of test specimens.
40. EN 12457-2:2002 Characterization of waste. Leaching. Compliance test for leaching of granular waste materials and sludges. One stage batch test at a liquid to solid ratio of 10 l/kg for materials with particle size below 4 mm (without or with size reduction).
41. UNE ENV 12506 Characterization of waste. Analysis of eluates. Determination of pH, As, Cd, Cr (VI), Cu, Ni, Pb, Zn, Cl−, NO2−, SO42−.
42. ENV 13370:2001. Characterization of waste. Determination of Ammonium-N, AOX, conductivity, Hg, phenol index, TOC, CN− easily liberatable and F−.
43. UNE 89987:2009 Concrete durability. Test methods. Measurement of chloride diffusion coefficient in hardened concrete. Multiregime method.
44. UNE 83982:2008. Concrete durability. Test methods. Determination of the capillar suction in hardened concrete. Fagerlund method.
45. Spanish Code on Structural Concrete EHE-08.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2015 Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.© CSIC. Manuscripts published in both the printed and online versions of this Journal are the property of Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, and quoting this source is a requirement for any partial or full reproduction.
All contents of this electronic edition, except where otherwise noted, are distributed under a “Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International” (CC BY 4.0) License. You may read here the basic information and the legal text of the license. The indication of the CC BY 4.0 License must be expressly stated in this way when necessary.
Self-archiving in repositories, personal webpages or similar, of any version other than the published by the Editor, is not allowed.